The beauty scene has been going through a blush craze lately thanks to TikTok trends like E-Girl makeup that brought back the look of flushed, rosy cheeks in a big way.
Blush adds a healthy glow to the skin. When applied correctly, it creates the illusion of high, sculpted cheekbones, making it the perfect addition to your contouring routine.
If you’re sensitive to different makeup ingredients or are just looking for a hassle-free beauty routine, a cheek blush tattoo might be the solution for you. It can be a real time saver, plus it won’t come off when you go swimming!
Read this article to find out what is a cheek blush tattoo, how it’s done, and what to expect after the treatment.
What Is a Cheek Blush Tattoo?
This popular cosmetic procedure is specially designed to give color, reduce dullness and add definition to the cheekbones.
A cheek blush tattoo is done by implementing light, rosy shades of pigment using an electric PMU machine or microneedling device into the cheeks, creating a soft, subtle blush effect.
Cheek blush tattoo has gained popularity in Europe, America, and Korea due to its sun-kissed aesthetic and natural glow.
The cheek blush tattoo or semi-permanent cheek blush is a technique originally created in Italy. Over the years, it was perfected into modern-day micropigmentation.
Image source: Instagram @makeupbyalinenemer
What Does the Cheek Blush Tattoo Procedure Look Like?
Cheek blush tattoos are done with an electric PMU device or a microneedling pen through a process called micropigmentation. This means that specialized cosmetic pigments are injected into the dermis layer of the skin with thin needles.
To achieve the desired shade, your artist will probably use lip tattoo pigments, or special tinted serums in the case of BB glow blush.
The procedure itself lasts about an hour and includes a consultation with your artist or technician about skin sensitivity and allergies, since a numbing cream will be applied to the cheeks before tattooing to make the whole process as painless as possible.
Afterwards, you will feel a slight burning sensation on your cheeks and the pigment will be quite opaque but don’t worry, after the healing process is over the color will lighten and blend in.
What Are the Benefits of Semi-Permanent Cheek Blush?
A blush tattoo on cheeks speaks perfectly to the Clean Girl esthetic that some of the most popular celebs like Hailey Bieber and Selena Gomez are rocking. Besides being on trend, here are some of the biggest benefits of getting semi-permanent cheek blush:
- It’s a great way to reduce dullness and add color
- It can give your face more structure
- Your cheekbones can appear more lifted
- You always have a fresh, glowy complexion
- It cuts down your daily makeup use
How to Choose the Perfect Cheek Blush Tattoo For You?
Choosing the perfect permanent blush shape and shade can be tricky, so booking your appointment with a licensed technician or artist is a must. Here’s a look at some of the characteristics your artist will asses before the treatment:
Skin Tone and Undertone
In order to achieve the most natural look, your technician will choose a cheek blush tattoo color according to your skin tone and its undertones.
This means that warmer-toned colors like peach and coral would look great on skin with warm undertones, while cool-toned pinks or reddish hues would look best on skin with cool undertones.
Skin with neutral undertones can rock almost any permanent blush shade, but if you’re going for a sun-kissed look, nudes and bronze shades would be perfect.
Cheek blush tattoos can do wonders for your face shape – they can make the face appear more narrow and long or shorter and wider without the need for contour. Let’s take a look at the best permanent blush styles for every face shape:
- Round face shape – permanent blush should be applied in a straight line from your ears down toward the outer corners of your mouth, ending at the center point of your cheeks. This will make your face appear more narrow and elongated.
- Oval face shape – your chosen permanent blush shade should be applied along the uppermost part of the cheekbones to help add height and definition. It should end just below the cheeks, leaving enough space for contouring.
- Diamond face shape – proper blush placement can help highlight those naturally high cheekbones without over-emphasizing them. Your cheek blush tattoo should be applied on the tops of your cheekbones and faded out toward the ears.
- Heart face shape – heart-shaped faces have a pointy look to them, so the goal with a cheek blush tattoo is to minimize the sharpness of the cheekbones to make the face look more oval. The blush should be brought up toward the temples to give balance.
- Square face shape – permanent blush should be applied at the center part of the cheekbones, gradually fading out toward the ears. This will flatter your features and emphasize your cheekbones.
- Rectangular face shape – the cheek blush tattoo should be applied along the center of the cheekbones, from the apples of your cheeks out toward the ears. To add softness to your features, it should go in a semi-circular shape, hugging the curve of your cheeks to shorten the face.
How Long Does Semi-Permanent Blush Last?
Semi-permanent blush or cheek blush tattoos can last up to 2 years if properly taken care of.
To get the most out of your procedure, regular touch-ups are in order, with the first touch-up required between 45 to 60 days after the initial procedure.
Cheek Blush Tattoo Aftercare – Dos & Don’ts
Just like other permanent makeup treatments, a cheek blush tattoo requires following the correct aftercare routine in order to properly heal and give long-lasting results. Here are some of the most important dos and don’ts after your cheek blush tattoo procedure:
- Avoid exposure to direct sunlight
- Avoid sweating, going to the sauna, or drinking alcohol
- Keep the skin hydrated for at least 10 days post-procedure
- Don’t wet your face 24 hours after the procedure
- Don’t wear makeup at least 2 weeks after the procedure
- Don’t touch or pick at scabs during the healing process
Image source: Instagram @beautyboulevard_ca
So, Should You Get a Blush Tattoo on Cheeks?
Permanent cheek blush is a subtle way to enhance your complexion. It can make your face look glowy and full of life, bring balance to your features and correct any unevenness in skin tone.
It doesn’t require any downtime or complicated aftercare routines, but it is important to note that this is a relatively new procedure so we can’t say with certainty that the permanent blush you chose to do today will stand the test of time and look good until it fades.
Going to a licensed technician to do the procedure can be tricky since not many artists offer cheek blush tattoo in their salons, but it is essential for achieving a natural result that best suits your features.
Cover image source: Freepik