One thing all PMU artists know – a reliable, fast-acting and intense topical anesthetic is the key to a successful treatment. Without it, permanent makeup and related treatments can be majorly uncomfortable, which makes the artist’s job much harder as the clients can wince and squirm.
So a huge portion of artists turn to Zensa Numbing Cream to ensure the PMU process goes smoothly, the client feels no pain, and their skin gets all the additional benefits the product offers.
Here’s all the information on the go-to numbing cream!
How Does Zensa Numbing Cream Work?
The Zensa Numbing Cream is a powerful topical numbing formula which contains 5% lidocaine – a local anesthetic which numbs the skin where it’s applied and the surrounding tissue by blocking the signals at the nerve endings in the skin.
It’s suitable for preventing and stopping discomfort and itching in the case of a number of skin conditions (minor burns, minor cuts, scrapes, eczema, insect bites, etc.).
It found its use in permanent makeup – both machine work and microblading – as it works perfectly for blocking the sensations of pain caused by the repeated breaking of the skin with a needle or a microblading blade.
Generally, the effects of Zensa Numbing Cream can last 2-3 hours, but every client can react differently and may lose the effects sooner.
How to Use the Zensa Numbing Cream for PMU?
The Zensa Numbing Cream is a versatile formula which can be used as primary numbing, for a pre-numb before the procedure starts, or as a secondary numbing once the skin has been broken.
Due to its natural pH value, it can be used for treatments on the eyebrows, lips and eyelids (but pay close attention that the product doesn’t get into the eyes – if it does, rinse immediately).
Here are the instructions for the use of Zensa Numbing Cream as a primary and secondary anesthetic:
- Clean the area with rubbing alcohol. This removes the residues of impurities that can cause uneven absorption of the product, but also disinfects the area and thus prevents contamination once the skin is broken.
- With a suitable applicator (like a cotton swab), apply a thick layer of Zensa Numbing Cream to the area. Generally, the thicker the layer applied, the better the absorption and numbing effect. A rule of thumb for determining the amount you need is that the coat shouldn’t be transparent. Don’t rub the cream into the skin.
- Cover the area with saran wrap*. Make sure it has a solid grip on the skin. This locks in the heat and moisture, so the numbing effect is increased by 50-80%.
- Leave the product on for 15-20 minutes. This should be enough time to numb the skin for PMU procedures, since facial skin is quite thin, and the blade or needle will penetrate it relatively shallowly.
- Remove the wrap and wipe off the cream. Make sure you remove all residues, since the product mustn’t sit on the skin for longer than the designated time.
*This doesn’t apply to permanent eyeliner treatments. Skip this step when numbing eyelids.
After you do the first pass, if your client feels any discomfort, you can use Zensa Numbing Cream as a secondary anesthetic to further numb the area.
- Clean off the excess pigment from the skin.
- Apply a small amount of Zensa Numbing Cream to the area. Since the skin has been opened, you don’t need a thick layer this time.
- Leave it on for no longer than 2 minutes. Since the skin has been opened, the effect will kick in basically immediately.
- Clean off the cream and carry on with the procedure.
Pro Tips on Maximizing the Effect of Zensa Numbing Cream
When pre-numbing, the formula is supposed to get absorbed past the epidermis, as deep into the skin as possible, and this can sometimes be challenging.
Even though Zensa Numbing Cream has a lightweight, water-based formula, it can work much more effectively if you try these tricks:
- Use a clean spoolie to exfoliate the skin in the area that will be treated before you apply the cream. Removing dead skin allows the cream to get absorbed better. Very useful for brows, especially on clients with lots of natural hair, which retains a lot of dead skin.
- When you cover the layer of numbing with saran wrap, put a warm towel over it. The heat will make the pores open up, which will allow the numbing to penetrate the skin deeper.
- When doing brows, you don’t have to numb both sides at the same time. Numb one brow first, and only apply the numbing on the other side as you’re finishing up the first one. This way, the numbing effect is at its peak when you switch to the other side.
Why Do Artists Love Zensa Numbing Cream?
Apart from the numbing effects it provides, the Zensa Numbing Cream has many advantages. Here’s what PMU artists love about Zensa:
It Works as Both Primary and Secondary Numbing
This means a single formula is enough to cover all your numbing needs, so it’s a cost-effective and practical solution. No need for buying several different formulas!
It Works Fast and the Effects Last
For the Zensa Numbing Cream, 15-20 minutes is sufficient to get the full* numbing effect.
The numbing effect can potentially last out for up to 3 hours, but there’s also the possibility to add more anesthesia at any point of the procedure. This allows the artist to organize the treatment process effectively.
*Note that different clients react differently to topical anesthetics and in rare cases, they may not get the full numbing effect within 15-20 minutes.
It’s a Non-Sticky, Water-Based Formula
The cream consistency makes this product easy to wipe off. It’s a non-greasy, non-sticky formula that doesn’t leave a film-like barrier on the skin, unlike many of the gels and thick ointments available on the market.
It’s a Clean Formula with High-Quality Ingredients…
We all love a simple yet powerful formula without any unnecessary ingredients! This is exactly how the Zensa Numbing Cream was formulated.
Its key ingredients are:
- 5% lidocaine – the numbing agent
- Lecithin – allows the lidocaine to penetrate the skin
- Vitamin E Acetate – an antioxidant that promotes skin healing
- Purified Water – a clean hydrating ingredient
- Benzyl Alcohol – a safe solvent that dissolves all the ingredients into a smooth composition
The fact that the formula only contains 1 type of numbing agent minimizes the risk of allergic reactions, and the absence of epinephrine many secondary numbing formulas include makes the Zensa Numbing Cream safe for a much wider clientele.
…Which Doesn’t Affect the Pigment
The formula of this numbing cream doesn’t contain vasoconstrictors, so it doesn’t affect the pigment implementation or retention in any way, so the results turn out perfectly crisp and neat.
It’s a Strong Numbing Formula Approved by the FDA and Health Canada
The Zensa Numbing Cream contains 5% lidocaine, which is the highest concentration of the numbing agent in a topical anesthetic approved for use without a prescription by PMU artists in most jurisdictions.*
The formula is safe when used properly and it’s been approved by the FDA and Health Canada, which may not be the case for other products available on the market.
*Check local guidelines.
It Nourishes the Skin and Promotes Healing
The formula doesn’t only provide a numbing effect – it also contains nourishing ingredients.
Vitamin E is an anti-inflammatory ingredient, which soothes the skin, minimizes redness and post-treatment itching, setting a great base for the aftercare routine.
You Can Use It for Different Treatments
Apart from the wide range of PMU treatments, the Zensa Numbing Cream can be used for other procedures as well, like PMU and tattoo removal, body art tattooing, scar camouflage, microneedling, waxing.
So if you offer additional services apart from PMU, this product is an all-rounder.
It’s Perfect for Saline Removal
The fact that it doesn’t contain epinephrine makes the Zensa Numbing Cream perfect for performing saline removal and similar removal treatments. These techniques rely heavily on the flow of blood and lymph, so vasoconstriction is not something you want in a numbing formula.
It’s Vegan, Cruelty-Free, and It’s Not Tested on Animals
Buying cruelty-free products is ethical and should be a must. There’s no justifiable reason for animal testing anymore, and the Zensa Numbing Cream comes 100% guilt-free.
Where Can I Buy the Zensa Numbing Cream?
Right here, on PMUHub! Here’s the link where you can buy Zensa Numbing Cream, or explore our shop where you can purchase your PMU supplies, all hand-picked artists’ favorites!