Long, dark lashes have been idealized for centuries, and that is why mascara was invented. Fast forward a couple of decades and a new way of making the lashes look even better has become hugely popular – eyelash extensions.
Brought into the spotlight by celebrities, especially Kardashians who never seem to take them off, these have become much more affordable than they used to be. If you are thinking about getting lash extensions, here’s everything you should know about them.
What Are Eyelash Extensions?
Eyelash extensions are semi-permanent fibers that are attached to your natural lashes, making them look thicker and longer. They can be individual or pre-made fans of 2 or more lashes, that are dipped into a lash adhesive and glued to each of your natural lashes.
People love them because they look more natural than strip false lashes, and give a more voluminous effect than regular mascara.
Another huge benefit of eyelash extensions is that they are customizable. There are different styles and the artist will recommend the one that suits your eye shape and face morphology best. They will also take the condition of your natural lashes into consideration and will not choose lash extensions that are too heavy for them. They can also mix different styles to create a unique look.
Here are the most popular styles of eyelash extensions.
Image source: Instagram @swaniyalashes_factory
What Lash Extensions Styles Are There?
The first ever type of lash extensions were individual lashes applied to each of natural lashes, but the new trends have appeared and now you can choose between the following:
Classic lash extensions (1:1)
What are classic lashes?
Classic lashes are 1 eyelash extension dipped into an adhesive and applied on 1 natural lash. They are also known as individual lashes or 1:1 lashes. Classic lashes are made of natural materials (such as mink fur) or synthetic ones (false mink fur). They can be of a different length, thickness and curl.
Who are they for?
Classic lashes are perfect for people who want to add length to their natural lashes and achieve a natural look. They are great for an everyday look, because they are usually not too extravagant.
Volume lash extensions
What are volume lashes?
The most popular volume lashes are Russian volume lash extensions, which means that fans of 2-6 (or more) lash extensions are applied per 1 natural lash. For a more dramatic look, one fan can contain up to 16 extensions and that is how mega volume lashes are created.
Who are they for?
Volume lash extensions are thick and dense, very attractive for a dramatic, makeup look, perfect for special occasions.
Hybrid lash extensions
What are hybrid lashes?
Hybrid lash extensions are a combination of classic lashes and volume lashes. Classic lashes will add length, while volume lashes are tiger for density and thickness. They are customized and look more natural than Russian lashes.
Who are they for?
For people who prefer a more natural look than the volume lashes look, as well as those who have sparse lashes and want to make them longer and more voluminous.
Image source: Instagram @swaniyalashes_katrina
How Long Do Eyelash Extensions Last?
All eyelash extensions, no matter which style you choose, are attached to your natural lashes, unlike false strip lashes that are glued to your eyelids. Therefore, they follow the natural lashes growth cycle and fall off with your natural lashes.
So eyelash extensions last 6-8 weeks, without infills. If you want to make them last longer, pay attention to the proper lash extensions maintenance tips.
How Do I Maintain Lash Extensions?
If you want to prevent your lash extensions from falling off too quickly and to make them last as long as 6-8 weeks, follow these steps:
- Proper aftercare – it is important to be careful about your lashes for the first 24-48 hours until the glue is completely dry. So don’t get your lashes wet, avoid long showers, swimming, steam, crying. Don’t use eye makeup as well as oil-based products, Don’t use mascara.
Besides proper aftercare, this is how to maintain your lashes:
- Brush your lashes regularly with a clean spoolie.
- Avoid oil-based products – they will affect the lash glue.
- Avoid mascara, especially on volume and hybrid lashes. Use only if you have to on classic lashes and don’t apply it to the roots, start from the middle.
- Book regular infills to prolong the lifespan of your lash extensions. The fill-ins are usually required 3-4 weeks after the initial treatment. You will lose 40-50% of the extensions by then. If you wait longer, more lashes will fall out and you will have to apply the full set all over again.
- Clean your lashes regularly. It is very important to remove all the bacteria and avoid infection. Also, if you properly clean your extensions, they will last longer.
Here is how to do that.
Cleaning Eyelash Extensions
Cleaning lash extensions should be done regularly. It is advisable to do it every day, especially if you have volume or hybrid lashes. Classic lashes can be washed every other day.
- Use micellar water or a specially designed lash cleaning foam. Dip a soft brush (most people use a wider eyeshadow brush) into the cleanser and brush over the lashes, side to side and from the root to the top.
- Soak the brush into water and rinse the lashes.
- Dry them with a cloth.
- If you want to make sure they are completely dry, use a blowdryer on a cold setting and dry your lashes. This is very helpful with volume and hybrid lashes.
Image source: Instagram @hultinsbeauty
How Much Do Eyelash Extensions Cost?
The eyelash extensions’ price depends on the style you choose, the materials extensions are made of (natural classic lashes cost more), your location, and the popularity of the technician.
So the average price of classic lashes is $150, for hybrid lashes $180, and for Russian volume lashes $200. In order to find out what the average is in your area, check the prices of a couple of nearby salons, and compare them.
What Are the Risks of Eyelash Extensions?
Complications are very rare but they can happen:
- Allergic reaction – you may be allergic to the lash glue, so do a patch test before the treatment to avoid this.
- Swelling and infection – you need to clean your lashes regularly.
- Damage to your natural lashes – only due to improper application and maintenance.
Do Eyelash Extensions Damage Your Natural Lashes?
Eyelash extensions don’t normally damage natural lashes, but some complications can occur and it is usually due to:
- Improper application – the lash tech uses lash extensions that are too heavy for your natural lashes. Also, they use low-quality materials.
- Improper aftercare and maintenance – you need to clean your lashes regularly
- DIY eyelash extensions removal – don’t remove lash extensions on your own – leave it to a professional.
Image source: Instagram @bonbonsbeauty
Are Lash Extensions Worth It?
They definitely are – otherwise, they wouldn’t be so popular. They shorten your morning routine – you don’t need a lot of additional makeup. They give your lashes length and volume, thus making you look glamorous and youthful. A boost of confidence that you deserve!
Cover image source: Freepik