How Long Do Eyelash Extensions Last?
Read all about how long do eyelash extensions last, what factors affect their lifespan, and what to avoid to make them last as long as possible.
Everybody likes long, luscious lashes that make your eyes pop and significantly enhance your look. It seems like no lash product or treatment can do as much as eyelash extensions. Some people love them so much that they can’t imagine going around without them, so they book one treatment after another.
But how often do you need to refill your lashes? And how long do eyelash extensions last?
Let’s answer these questions and list some tips on how to make your eyelash extensions last longer.
Table of contents - Skip to a specific paragraph
How Long Do Eyelash Extensions Last on Average?
Eyelash extensions last 6-8 weeks. The simple explanation is that they last as long as your natural lashes. Yes, natural lashes have an 8-week long cycle, after which they shed and are replaced with new eyelashes.
Eyelash extensions are attached to the natural lashes, not the skin of the lash line. That is why they fall off with them. You can expect to lose half of your lash extensions 4 weeks after the application. Naturally, it’s all individual and some people will notice their lashes fall off sooner than that (keep reading to find out why).
How Long Do Bottom Lash Extensions Last?
The average lifespan of bottom eyelash extensions is around 2 weeks.
Yes, bottom eyelash extensions are a thing, and they also enhance the look of your eyes. But clients tend to avoid them because they last even shorter than upper eyelash extensions. So, they can be a great addition if you have an important event, but maybe too much of a hassle for an everyday look.
What Factors Determine How Long Do Lash Extensions Last?
There are different things that can affect how long does eyelash extensions last. Some people will get great retention and their lashes will look great weeks after the applications. Others may experience premature shedding.
Here’s which factors determine how long do lash extensions last:
- Application – if the application is not proper, it can cause lashes to fall off prematurely or even damage the natural lashes. The lash tech needs to choose the right length of the eyelash extensions according to the state of the client’s natural lashes. If the extensions are too heavy for a client’s natural lashes, they will start falling off too soon, and what’s worse, they can damage their natural lashes.
- Aftercare – there is a short, but important aftercare period during which you have to pay special attention to your lashes (more on that below).
- Maintenance – eyelash extensions require special maintenance. Nothing too complicated, but they still need to be brushed and cleaned regularly (more on that below).
- Lifestyle – if you spend a lot of time in the water, heat, or steamy rooms (for example, if you go to the sauna or you cook) it can weaken the glue bond and make your extensions fall off sooner than they should.
- Weather conditions – if the humidity is high in your area, your eyelash extensions may not be so long-term.
- You lash growth cycle – lashes grow out and fall off within 8 weeks, but this is also individual. Some people’s lashes have shorter, others longer growth cycle.
Image source: Instagram @lashstatement
How Can I Make My Lash Extensions Last Longer?
You can prolong how long does lash extensions last slightly by following the aftercare and maintenance instructions.
After the eyelash extensions application, there is some period when the glue is still fresh and the extensions need some time to settle. For approximately 48 hours you should be extra careful with your eyelash extensions.
Here’s what to do and what not to do during the aftercare period:
- Don’t touch or pull your eyelashes
- Don’t use mascara
- Don’t use any oil-based products
- Don’t use the lash curler
- Don’t get your lashes wet
- Try to sleep on your back
- Avoid places where there’s too much steam (saunas, swimming pools, and be careful if you need to cook)
- Don’t take long showers – make it quick and don’t get your lashes wet while in the shower.
After the aftercare period is over, you don’t have to be so careful with your eyelash extensions, but you do need to maintain them properly, which will affect how long do eyelashes extensions last.
Here are some maintenance instructions to make your eyelash extensions last longer and prevent the damage to your natural lashes:
- Avoid oil-based products when you remove eye makeup. Oils will affect the lash glue, weaken the bond and make the extensions fall off sooner.
- Avoid using mascara, especially if you get volume, wispy or hybrid lashes. Lash techs say it’s okay with classic eyelash extensions, but removing mascara can be tricky and it can make the glue bond weaker.
- Avoid using a lash curler – it can break the lashes, and it’s really unnecessary.
- Avoid sleeping on your face – it can tangle and break eyelash extensions.
- Brush your eyelashes daily. Brushing the extensions will prevent their breakage and it will untangle them. It will also remove bacteria and oils to some extent, and prevent dirt build-up. That way you will keep your lashes healthy.
- Clean your lashes regularly. This maintenance tip is really important. It is advisable to clean i.e. wash your lash extensions daily, to remove all the dust, dirt, bacteria, and oil build-up.
How to Clean Lash Extensions
Cleaning should be done with a clean brush and micellar water or some other specially designed product. It’s important to keep the eyelashes dry afterward and brush them with a clean spoolie. Read this article to find out more about how to clean your eyelash extensions properly.
It’s also possible to book a lash bath appointment at the salon and get your eyelash extensions cleaned properly by a professional.
Image source: Instagram @blinkminkbeautysuite
Can I Remove My Eyelash Extensions Sooner?
Yes, if you want to get rid of your lash extensions before all of them fall off on their own. Maybe you don’t want sparse extensions or you want to remove them even sooner, if you don’t like them, or if the lash tech made a mistake and they are too heavy for your eyes.
Eyelash extension removal should be done by a professional. Don’t try to do it on your own, and under no circumstances should you try to pull them off. You risk damaging your natural lashes. So, the best thing would be to pay a visit to the salon and get them removed by the lash tech.
How Long Do Eyelash Extensions Last – Main Takeaways
So the answer to the question of how long do eyelash extensions last is 6-8 weeks. But bear in mind that they don’t look their best throughout that period. A lash fill is required after less than a month. Also, follow the aftercare and maintenance tips to make the most of your eyelash extension.
LEARN MORE ABOUT EYELASH EXTENSIONS
Explore more eyelash extensions topics:
Swipe for more lash extension topics →