If you’re dreaming of long, voluminous lashes that stay lifted for days and days, then eyelash extensions are the perfect choice. Eyelash extensions can offer freedom from your daily mascara and eyeliner battle, giving you dark and luscious lashes without effort.
However, not everyone can ditch their favorite mascara in a wink, since it has become an essential part of daily makeup routines for so many people.
So, it is important to ask the question before booking your eyelash appointment – can you put mascara on eyelash extensions?
Although not advisable, you can absolutely wear mascara on lash extensions if you pay some extra attention to choosing the right kind of mascara for your new lashes. Read on to find out all about what mascara can do to your lash extensions, what kinds of mascara work best and which to avoid after your treatment.
Can You Put Mascara on Eyelash Extensions? What Are the Pros and Cons?
Before we take a deep dive into the pros and cons of wearing mascara on lash extensions, it is important to note that various types of lash extensions are not suitable for mascara use.
Extensions like Russian volume lashes or hybrid lashes have a strong no-mascara policy, while classic lash extensions allow you to wear certain types of mascara.
Here’s a look at some of the benefits of putting mascara on lash extensions:
- Mascara can add volume and color to your extensions, making them bolder and more dramatic.
- Mascara can make your lower lashes pop, creating a balanced look between your natural lashes and your extensions.
- Mascara helps you fill in the gaps when your extensions start to shed, extending your next appointment.
- Some mascaras are infused with ingredients like peptides, vitamin E, biotin and keratin, which nourish your natural lashes and help them grow.
Here’s a look at some of the risks of putting mascara on your lash extensions:
- Most mascaras contain ingredients like sesame and eucalyptus oil and if those oils come into contact with lash adhesives for prolonged hours, they can slowly break the bond between extensions and your natural lashes, causing them to fall out prematurely.
- Mascara can put some weight onto your lash extensions, causing them to break, droop down, or lose their shape.
- Mascara lets the cat out of the bag because it makes your fake lash extensions look even more fake. It becomes more apparent that you’ve got eyelash enhancements.
- If you don’t take off your mascara with extra care, you can risk damaging your eyelash extensions by breaking them.
Image source: Instagram @lashesbylishax
Which Types of Mascara Can You Use on Your Lash Extensions?
If you’re contemplating using mascara on your freshly done classic lashes, here’s a look at the least damaging mascara types that will give your lashes that extra oomph.
A water-based mascara is the best kind of mascara for eyelash extensions. With a formulation that lacks oily and waxy substances, it won’t ruin your lashes or dissolve the bonding agents in your lash glue.
Oils can dissolve the glue your lash extensions use to stick to your natural lashes, so avoid using oil-based mascaras at all costs. If it says oil-free on the package, you’ve found yourself a keeper. Also, watch out for any silicone ingredients.
Which Types of Mascara Should Be Avoided?
Now that you know what’s safe to use with your eyelash extensions, let’s take a look at the types of mascara you should avoid.
Waterproof mascaras are hard to take off and contain many ingredients that can dissolve your lash glue. This will ultimately make your lashes fall out prematurely. Another key ingredient is silicone, so definitely steer clear of this one.
Fiber mascaras contain ingredients like silk, nylon, and rayon, which are dry fibers. These fibers can be extremely difficult to remove from your extensions, causing your natural lashes to fall out in the process.
Tube mascaras aren’t just any regular mascara that comes in a tube. Their name comes from polymers found in the formula that individually wrap around each lash, forming tubes. It’s one of the hardest mascara types to remove, and definitely unsafe for your lash extensions.
Image source: Instagram @blossominglashes
So, Can You Wear Mascara With Lash Extensions?
Eyelash extensions are a great way to take your look from natural to glamorous and save some time and money on makeup products. If you decide to give classic eyelash extensions a try, wearing mascara is surely an option for you.
However, keep in mind that you should avoid using any waterproof products on your lash extensions or anything that contains fibers and oils. Stick with water-based and oil-free products exclusively when choosing your mascara and your makeup remover.
To learn more about eyelash extension treatments here.
Cover image source: Freepik